Monday, May 16, 2011

Nepal and Everest

After India I had a quick 4 day trip to Kathmandu, Nepal. While four days is not nearly enough time in Nepal since the thing to do there is a mountain trek, I was luckily enough to still see Everest in my time there. If I ever make it back to Nepal I would do a month long mountain trek in a heartbeat! Kathmandu is not the mountainous Nepal you envision but it is a really cool city none the less. It is filled with backpackers and I actually bumped into backpackers that I had met in Laos one month before! We happened to be staying in the same Guest House. On my first day in Nepal I woke up early to catch a flight on a small plane that takes you up to see Mount Everest and the surrounding mountains. I would have loved to see these mountains via trek but my short trip wouldn't allow it. I was a little worried in the first fifteen minutes of my flight because all we could see were clouds. We had been warned that due to bad weather some people take the hour flight and don't even get a glimps of the incredible mountains. Luckily, I was able to see Everest and I must say it was breathtaking. I made a friend on the Everest Flight and we made our way to Nagarkot- a mountain town- for a good hike and some fresh mountain air. We stopped in Bhaktapur on the way and by early afternoon we were in Nagarkot. We did  a two hour hike to a place called View Point where we were able to climb a shaky tower and get some amazing views of the mountains at sunset. It was an awesome day- I was happy to breath the fresh mountain air and do a hike while in Nepal. I spent the remainder of my time in Kathmandu exploring the city and enjoying the last of authentic Asian food before I made my way to Europe. It took just over 24 hours to get to Greece but after a 12 hour layover in India and three flights I finally made it to my last leg of the trip!

Small Buddha Airplane for the Mountain Flight


Seat with the wing- great for a good view and pics?- not! Opps :)

Uh oh- clouds for Everest flight?- not good- standard!

Yay! First views of the mountains!

Cockpit

Wing seat still a great view!

Everest- amazing!

Small plane- everyone scurrying to get a good picture

Quick stop in Bhaktapur on my way to the mountains for a hike

Nagarkot, Nepal- so beautiful

Two hour hike- straight up hill- and by hill I don't mean a small hill I mean a steep mountain!

Great views on the hike

Pretty amazing

Convenient Store at the top of the hike- first thing I saw- too funny!

Top of the hike

View Point- climbed a pretty sketchy tower for a great view- no problem!

Sunset in Nagarkot

Don't fall!

Great day!

Leaving Nepal- I did a little shopping in India- my bag doubled in size!

12 hour layover in India in the transit transit area- fancy

After at least three hours of trying to get out of the transit transit area, Nikki was able to at least convince them to bring us food!

Met some travelers- all of the different currencies we had on us- more than half were mine!

3 comments:

  1. SOOO great! Really glad you had a great time in India and are now experiencing Europe. Can't wait to hear all about the amazing places you've been! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovedddd the currency pic! u look like you are having a blast!

    ReplyDelete