Tuesday, May 17, 2011

YAMAS (cheers)- to Greece!

.... lots of pictures in this one... thought they could tell a better story!

Greece was awesome! I absolutely loved it. It was a great first stop for my travels in Europe and I can't say enough good things about the sites, people, and most importantly.... the food. Greek food is now officicially one of my favorite foods! They love cheese and they add fries to everything. The meat is super delicious and they have a yummy sauce called tsatziki that they use fries, pitas, you name it. I enjoyed plenty of food while in Greece and it will be hard for the rest of Europe to top the Greek food experience!

I arrived to Athens, Greece with Nikki after a long trip from Nepal. I was so happy to be reuniting with Liz for our last country to conquer together. She was couch surfing with Yannis, a local Grecian who introduced us to some great Greek food and gave us a glimps of local life. We were also meeting Andrew, a friend from home joining the backpacker gang of Americanos for short time. Athens was great- we discovered Souvlaki (a pita stuffed with kebab or gyro, veggies, tsatziki, and fries), toured the Acropolis, drank wine, and enjoyed some incredible local company. From Athens I made my way to Santorini to tour the island via ATV and see the incredible sunset of Oia, the awesome colors of the red and black sand beaches, hike up a volcano, see some donkeys, and jump into a hot spring that was actually quite cold! Greece was absolutely incredible- thank you to Yannis for letting me crash your home for an evening in Athens! While I did have a lovely time in Greece, I had to say farewell to my well known travel buddy Liz. She joined me for a million and one laughs and adventures over the past three months and it would not have been the same remarkable trip without her! Once again, I met wonderful people and learned about a new culture and place in the world. Every day I feel more and more fortunate to have this experience and to be able to share it with all of you. Stay tuned for updates on my month in Italy....

Greek Food!- Souvlaki and Greek Salad

The Acropolis

Athens

Checking out the sites

Backpackers

Liz the Tour Guide... making up a less than believable story about Greek history
An afternoon of Ouzo for the dudes.....

..... and Greek Coffee for the ladies.... with a side of Ouzo!

Yanni and Liz- couch surfing is amazing!

Souvlaki lunch! Yum!
Dinner at a local spot with Yanni and his friend Sakis

Red Beach

Black sand beach

Pretty beach

ATV!

Hike up a volcano

Volcano

Oia, Santorini

Oia, Santorini

Beautiful Greece

Watching the sunset in Oia
Sunset

Oia

Donkey!

Cable car ride

Amazing feta salad

Santorini
Great day!

Familia- love this girl- thanks for an amazing trip!


1 comment: